20-24 sponge fingers
4 tbsps instant coffee powder mix with 150 ml hot water
2 tbsp Kahlua/Amaretto/Marsala or brandy
4 egg yolks
60 g caster sugarFew drops vanilla extract
Grated rind of half a lemon
500 g Mascarpone cheese
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp of gelatin , pour inside a stainless steel bowl, add in 6 tbsp of water, bloom for 5 minutes, melted on a hot water bath.
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Put egg yolks into a heatproof bowl with the sugar, vanilla extract and lemon rind. Stand over a saucepan of gently simmering water and whisk until very thick and creamy (the whisk leaves a very heavy trail when lifted from the bowl).
2. Put mascarpone into a bowl. Add lemon juice and beat until mixture is smooth.
3. Beat cream until peak, beat in the warm gelatin, add to mascarpone mixture. Combine the egg and mascarpone mixture until evenly blended.
1. Arrange almost half the sponge fingers in the base of serving dish.
2. Combine the black coffee and liqueur. Use a brush and brush the coffee mixture on the fingers
3. Pour half the mascarpone and egg mixture over the sponge fingers and spread out evenly.
4. Add another layer of sponge fingers; again brush the coffee mixture on the fingers and cover with the remaining mascarpone mixture. Chill for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight).
Sift an even layer of cocoa powder over the top of tiramisu, completely covering it!
1.You may use individual cups/ramekins instead of one big serving dish.
Makes serving easier and pretty too!
2.You can omit the cream entirely if you wish. If you do that, you can omit the gelatin. The mascarpone cheese should be stable enough.